First off, my Trivia Treasure Hunt!! For those of you who didn't go and see the Trivia Treasure Hunt, here are the questions (and the anwers!)
1. Mommy and Daddy love Cruzan Rum, in fact they like it so much that when Aunt Susan and Uncle Dave went diving this summer, they brought back some Cruzan rum from the Cruzan rum factory as a present for Mommy and Daddy. Where did Aunt Susan and Uncle Dave travel to in order to get Cruzan Rum from the factory? St Croix, US Virgin Islands
2. Sometimes ships sink due to bad weather before we kitties can pirate them. On July 22, 1985 an American treasure hunter discovered just such a sunken ship off the coast of Key West, FL. What was the name of the sunken ship? Senora de Atocha (Our Lady of Atocha)
3. Did you kitties know that most pirates were male? However, there are two very well known female pirates that became best friends when they dressed as male pirates and sailed under the flag of Captain Jack Rackham, who was also known as Calico Jack. Who were these two female pirates? Mary Reed and Anne Bonnie
4. Did you kitties know that in the 17th century, Britain actually licensed pirates to attack Spanish, and later French, ships? Henry Morgan was made famous by becoming the leader of this band of British employees. However, the term “pirate” was not applied to this group – they were called something else to set them apart from good, honest and law-breaking pirates like us kitties on the Black Furball. What was the British government employees who performed acts of piracy but were not actual pirates called? Privateers or Buccaneers
5. Why is the rum always gone? We can tell you why – because our Mommy and Daddy drank it all on a trip they took this past fall! They had yummy drinks called Hurricanes which are rum drunks that were invented by an infamous American bar during World War II. Can you name the city and the bar where Mommy and Daddy drank all of the rum? (PS- Mommy says you get extra points if you bring her one!) Pat O'Briens in New Orleans (Spirit and Ezra actually new the historic name for the bar, when it was just a speak easy - Mr. O'Brien's Club Tipperary - Mommy was way impressed).
6. Contrary to what Mommy would like, not all hurricanes are yummy rum filled drinks. Some hurricanes are very serious and have been the death of many a pirate caught in their gales. In the Western Hemisphere, a special scale is used to warn pirate kitties of the intensity of approaching hurricanes. What is the special scale called? Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Scale
7. Did you know that the oldest city in America has a rich pirate history too? This city was settled by the Spanish in March 1513 by Don Juan Ponce de Leon. In 1586, the English corsair Sir Francis Drake attacked and burned the town. Then in 1668, the pirate Captain John Davis plundered the town, killing sixty inhabitants. Spain authorized the building of a stone fort to protect the city and its inhabitants. The Castillo de San Marcos took twenty-three years to build but, once in place, stood as the town's stalwart defender. To this day, the fort has never fallen to enemy attack. What is the name of this city? St. Augustine, FL
8. Who is the most fearsome pirate cat Captain to ever live? Even though Dante may disagree, it is me - Captain Jack Kitten!
Almost everyone who participated got all of the answers correctly and for the kitty who missed only one, she was so close! We knew it would be hard to choose but this morning we let the other birthday boy Tybalt randomly choose a winner out of all the kitties that answered correctly and well, we promise it was random (Tybalt back us up here) but the Lady Boo is our winner!! Congratualtions my lovely lady! For everyone else who participated, Mommy is working on a special surprise for you guys only and we hope to have it ready soon!!
Kitties, I have to show you this because I cannot believe how wonderful it is. It's my birthday present from that amazing pub mistress herself, Miss Diamond Emerald Eyes!
Thanks again for coming to my Birthday Cruise. It was the best 4th birthday, or any birthday for that matter, ever!!